Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pink Eye

Ds4 and Baby Girl have pink eye. We went to a pharmacy today in Dallas that sells naturopathic medicine and got colloidal silver. I have to put drops of it in their eyes 3 times per day for 3 days, or until their eyes get better. The pharmacist also gave me a nasal spray bottle to put the silver in. One squirt in each nostril 3x per day also. According to this pharmacist, usually pink eye is a viral infection that begins in the sinuses and spreads to the eyes.

Putting eye drops and nasal spray in a 4 year old boy's eyes and nose is not my idea of fun. It is AWFUL!! First I tried talking calmly and rationally to him about it. That didn't work. Then I tried bribing. That didn't work. Then I tried the stern approach. Nope, didn't work. Finally, I sat on his hands and pried his tightly shut little eyes open and put the drops in. I never made it to the nasal spray. I was exhausted afterward. When he finished freaking out about it he said, "That didn't hurt."

Baby Girl didn't know to be afraid of the drops, so she opened her little eyes and got the drops and them jumped off the bed to go play. She hugged ds4 and patted him while he screamed and cried about getting his drops. Ha! A toddler comforting her older brother is so sweet. She was truly concerned about him, worried look and all.

The last time our family had pink eye, ds4 was a newborn. We passed it around the whole family for 10 weeks. Yes, 10 weeks. I read that breastmilk is a natural antibiotic and that you can put drops of it in eyes to treat pink eye. I tried it with Gabriel (no one else would let me!) and he got better first. It worked! Everyone else used antibiotic drops from the doctor.

No breastmilk this time though, just colloidal silver.

No comments: