Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Taking Care of Myself While Family Has Flu

I sat down to write this and looked out the window at what I thought were leaves falling. I thought, "It is so windy out there." I was looking through a curtain. Then a looked closer and saw that the "leaves" were white! Snow!

Today was ds8's first day back to school after being sick. I asked his teacher to call me at noon if he hasn't perked up a bit. He still is as white as a ghost and his eyes look sick, but his fever is gone and he is on antibiotics, so he wanted to go to school. I think he's been pretty bored here. TV and Play Station get old after a while, even for an 8-yr old boy.

I realized this morning that I do not take care of myself very well when my kids are sick. I spend so much time taking care of them and taking them to the dr., going to get prescriptions, going to the grocery store to get more stuff, etc., that I neglect myself, and consequently, baby.
I have been staying up way too late because after the sickies go to bed I want to be ALONE or at least sit up and talk with dh in peace and quiet.
I have been drinking too much soda and caffeine. I haven't been balancing my checkbook everyday like I normally do. I have been forgetting to take my vitamins at night before bed. I have been shooting up "bullet prayers" instead of taking time to thoughtfully pray and study. And I have let the house get very messy during our bout with the flu. The house is the least of my concerns, but I do need to get it picked up because I get stressed when my house is in chaos.

I need to focus on taking my aspirin and vitamins, drinking lots of water, taking vitamin c, getting the basics done each day (meals, laundry, house maintenance), and getting more sleep. I think last night I slept maybe 3 hours. Baby Girl was up so many times. I kept thinking, "In a couple of months, I will be up all night with a new little one. I have GOT to get this one sleeping all night in her bed!" Actually, she normally sleeps all night in her bed. She occasionally gets in our bed sometime in the night. Ds4 is the one I need to get out of my bed and into his bed. He cried and cried last night because I wouldn't let him in our bed. But Baby Girl was in there already and it was getting crowded. She likes to sleep horizontally with her head in my back and her feet in dh's back. Not too comfortable. Tonight I hope to go to bed at 9:00. And I also hope to get a nap this afternoon.

Well, by the time I finished this post, the snow stopped. : ( It was pretty while it lasted.

Today ds6#1 is home from school, Baby Girl has a fever, and ds4 seems to be feeling puny again. he has cried all morning and I can't figure out what he's crying about. He won't tell me anything, he just cried. So he is back in bed.

No comments: