Saturday, November 10, 2007

Decorating the New House

I have been browsing websites this afternoon looking for decorating ideas.

This is what I have found so far:

Scriptures stenciled on walls and cabinets around the house:

I especially like this idea. I stenciled Philippians 4:13 on my living room wall in Mission, but I like the idea of going all the way around the room. I have started a list of scriptures that I want on my walls and cabinets. I will have to post that later because I don't want to look for it. : )

Family Tree wall:

Isn't this a neat idea?

I want to have a wall where I hang black and white pictures of the kids. I will probably have the family tree wall and the kids' wall in the formal living room. Then along the stairs I will hang their school pictures and our family pictures.

Artwork:


This blog
has beautiful artwork. I love this style of art and I love the paintings of mothers and children, fathers and children, flowers, etc.

These are also very cute. Maybe I could put these on the upstairs hallway wall.

Donna Green is an artist I like a lot. Her Velveteen Rabbit series is wonderful! The painting below is hers.

Candles:

Right now I just have candles in teacups in 2 spots. I want pretty candle holders and lots of yummy scented candles, like Yankee candles or Triple Scent candles.


Feminine and romantic:

With 5 boys at home, I had given up on having a romantic, pretty home. But, I think I am going to give it a try. Obviously, only certain rooms will have that pretty feel to them. I think the formal living room, my bedroom and bathroom, and the guest powder room are a few places I can decorate this way. The babies’ bedroom is another room I can make pretty. Yes, the baby is a boy, but the room can still be masculine and pretty. Hmmm…that sounds like a contradiction, but hopefully you know what I mean. The toddler is a girl so her part of the room can be feminine.

A magazine I love is Romantic Homes. Southern Living has a lot of romantic decorating also.

The rest of the house will be practical and simple, I hope. I have LOTS of stuff to get rid of before anything can be simple. Right now we just have so much stuff. But I may find that once I have some storage space, we don't have as much junk as I thought.


Kitchen:

My kitchen is going to be bright and airy. I have a huge window overlooking the backyard. My appliances will be stainless steel and the cabinets will be antiqued white. I had planned o base my color scheme on a painting that I love called The Mission Bell Tower. It is a painting of the bell tower down the road from our home in Mission. It is really beautiful. The colors are dark yellow, dark green, and a lighter shade of green, with sky blue.

I am going to frame some of the kids' artwork and hang it in the kitchen.

One more thing:

ha ha!!

post signature

8 comments:

Natalie said...

Julie,
Take a look at these two sites - I love the idea of words on the wall...

http://www.uppercaseliving.com

and

http://secure.wonderfulgraffiti.com

Julie said...

Wow! Those are great websites! Thanks, Nat! I especially love the definitions gallery on the 2nd website.

Natalie said...

I like the definition of "sisters" and "family." The definition of boy is really cute, huh? I liked some of the bath and laundry room ones too.

I also like the Family Tree that's actually a drawing of a tree that you can find on the Wonderful Graffiti site.

Basically, I liked most of them and always have a great time browsing those two websites. :)

Annie said...

I like it!
I have really enjoyed having the faith based scripture wall in the front room. I think all your ideas are good. I can't wait to see it all.

burrsmom said...

Julie, I know a woman who has a home business and she puts any phrase into any font and turns it into an applique that you transfer to your wall. It takes about two minutes depending how big you want the letters. Call Leslie if you want more info. I'll try to find her number.

Natalie said...

I've heard of the home businesses that do the same thing as the websites I listed and have been leery of them because it seemed that they could be infringing on the copyright of what these other companies are selling.

I'd check into that aspect of it before purchasing anything just to be safe.

ann said...

Missing your posts! Hope to see you back soon!
In His Love and Blessings,
annb

Anonymous said...

Thank you :-) check out this emo boy style over this blog:
http://crazy-emo-boys.blogspot.com