Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday~ My First Cooking Experience

The first cooking experience I remember was when I was 16 and pregnant with dd12. I was very careful with my nutrition, since I was a pregnant teen. I had read that I needed 100 grams of protein a day, so I counted out everything. I remember cooking grilled cheese in a cast iron skillet and eating it with tomato soup because it was supposed to be healthier that way. I can't remember exactly why at the moment.

Is making grilled cheese really a cooking experience?

My next real cooking experience was when hubby and I were newlyweds. We had been married about 2 weeks, and we lived in this cute little house in Norman, Oklahoma. We had a tiny kitchen, and I remember spending so much time on this elaborate meal for my new husband. I thought it was elaborate, anyway. I was so proud of it. I made some kind of tex-mex burgers. They had guacamole on them and Monterrey Jack cheese in the middle of the burgers. Yes, it took me forever to make them. What I remember the most vividly is hubby biting into one, with me watching expectantly, and he said, "This really isn't my favorite meal. It's okay though." Ha!
I was crushed! I got so mad!

After that I just remember getting out cookbooks and teaching myself to cook, one recipe at a time. Annie helped me learn to cook with her spinach lasagna. That was one of the first things I could cook well. I still make that often.
I must say that I remember as a young teen, my dad asking me if I wanted to learn to cook venison. He fries venison and it is so delicious. But I said no, I didn't want to learn. I wish i had taken him up on that offer, because I still haven't learned to fry venison the way he does. : )



post signature


Please go over to Large Family Logistics and read their news!

10 comments:

Annie said...

Funny! I can just see Corey saying that (nerd :o))... lol...
I remember you bringing spinach lasagna when emelia was born (that was over 9 years ago wow).
I wish Mendy blogged, now that girl has had some cooking mishaps.
Do you think we (I) should redo your sig? The green bugs me now.
♥♥♥♥
annie
My Life as Annie!

Jenny said...

Ok, so you know Annie irl?? How cool!!! And I think Grilled Cheese counts as cooking. And I would have been mad if my dh said that after I slaved in the kitchen, too. I think we've been there, done that, actually.
Don't like venison. I'm trying, 'cause my hubby loves it, but it's just not for me.

Anonymous said...

My grandfather used to make wonderful venison during his hunting days, but I have no idea how he did it.

I can totally understand your reaction to your husband's comments. But -- I can see his, too -- he'd want to let you know he didn't like ti so it wouldn't come up again soon. :) I think early married days are kind of tricky working out those kinds of compromises.

-atomik kitten said...

I love cookbooks. I have a ton of them. At least he tried to be tactful. LOL

KC said...

yes Grilled cheese can count as cooking.. if I can count french toast and mac n cheese :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you sticking with it and learning one recipe at a time...of course, that's coming from someone who's done the same...so I appreciate what that means! ;)
And, btw...those tex-mex burgers sound good!!

Natalie said...

I can show you how to cook venison like Dad does... and how to do the turkey breast strips too... and mashed potatoes like Meema... and Sunday morning biscuits and gravy.. and...

Anytime, sis.

Love you!
N (who does not have fur in her shorts like someone else we know)

Joyful Days said...

I need to be more consistent and use my cookbooks more often. I think your meal you cooked for your husband sounds great.

Lorie said...

Yes I definately think grilled cheese counts! Thanks for sharing!

Renee said...

In my book, grilled cheese definitely counts! Thanks for sharing.