Saturday, February 16, 2008

Look what happened at our house tonight!


Ds 5 started feeling a bit better after taking ibuprofen. He started jumping around, then he fell and hit his head on the corner of the piano bench. The picture above is what resulted. We went to the ER, then decided to come back home and evaluate it more before seeing a doctor.
On Dr. Sears' website (www.askdrsears.com) he says that if the cut is gaping open 3/16" you need to get it stitched closed. I measured ds5's cut and it is 2/16". The advice given was to use either steri-strips or skin super glue. We cut his hair and tried to use steri-strips, but that didn't work, so we used skin super glue. We held the wound together and glued it shut. It worked! The bleeding has stopped. We have given him ibuprofen and he is feeling lots better.

Dr. Sears says there are two reasons to go ahead with stitches: 1) to stop bleeding, 2) for cosmetic reasons. He says if the cut is in a spot that will not be seen, you can try to avoid stitches by trying to close the wound at home.

I really like Dr. Sears! I have read most of his books and I agree with a lot of what he advises. I am glad I looked at his website instead of taking my baby to the ER. I think they would have gone ahead and stitched it up if we had gone inside. But I think we made the best decision for ds5.


post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy!

I told oldest daughter about the glue and she stood with her mouth agape. We've not had an occasion to use it. Yet.

Annie said...

Ouch! Matt keeps that glue around for his wounds too... I'm glad you avoided the er! Hope everyone is feeling better and less accident prone today!

HomeSchool Mommy said...

I never would have lot to ask you until you said you like Dr. Sears...do you vaccinate?

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy :( I hope(and am sure) he will be back to normal in no time. Boys...

Julie said...

We vaccinate after age 2 and we pick and choose which ones to give them.