Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Girls' Room

I am looking forward to having a clean slate to decorate in our house we're building. This is what I want to do in the girls' room...

1. Bed-sand and paint dd12’s bed off white, then “antique” the bed, making it look old
2. Paint walls lavender
3. Paint ceiling same shade of purple or maybe a bit lighter (Annie, what do you think- should I paint it the same or lighter?)
4. White lace canopy over bed with silk rose garland wrapped around top of canopy
5. 2 Bulletin boards for their papers-white frame, large, cork board
6. Dresser-sand and paint off white to match bed, “antique”
7. Curtains-white or pink eyelet curtains, hanging to floor; white sheer panels underneath
8. Small chandelier to replace light fixture
9. Baby’s crib-sand, paint pale pink, then “antique”
10. Stencil girls’ scriptures around top of walls
11. Fancy mirror

I envision a "shabby chic" look for their room. The bad thing is that I will have to wait a while to decorate the kids' rooms because we are going to finish the downstairs of the house and then finish the upstairs as we get the money. We are going to put the kids in the bonus room above the garage while we finish the upstairs.

I want my house to be practical and pretty. I realize that with 6 kids, 4 of them being boys, I cannot have a romantic, pretty house all the time. So I am going to choose a few rooms to make pretty and make sure the kids know not to mess up those rooms. (master bedroom and bathroom and maybe the dining room)

Yesterday I was looking at the house plans with a friend who was over and she suggested that I make the formal living room a school room. That way I can house all of our school stuff in that room and have bulletin boards and posters on the walls. I can have bookshelves for school materials only and cabinets that close and lock for stuff like crayons, staplers, and scissors. My friend suggested that I get a large square table that seats 8. I love square tables!
I also like the idea of painting part of the room with chalkboard paint. Maybe have a chair rail and from the rail down put chalkboard paint. But that sounds really messy and I don't like chalk. I do want there to be certain rooms in the house that the kids can mess up and it's okay. Maybe chalkboard paint is a good idea. It's a contained mess.

Those are my thoughts this morning. DD12 is making chicken soup for lunch and is putting it in the crockpot. It smells good.
I need to go have Bible Time and start the kids on their lessons.
Bye!

3 comments:

Annie said...

I think that would be pretty, but maybe a lighter shade unless the ceiling is higher than normal then a shade darker would be okay too. Sounds pretty!
Thanks again for the cd's...we listened to one tonight while doing our TWO sessions!!!
love you!

Julie said...

I'm glad you like the CDs!

Annie said...

me too!!!
:0)