Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A Tag!

Annb tagged me for a meme! Thanks, Ann! I always love a good meme.

"8 Things About My Marriage"
1. We met in October, were engaged in December, and got married in June! It was a whirlwind, although I don't think it was as fast as Annb and her hubby. I think they met in October and got married in February. They have us beat for the fastest courtship.
2. Our wedding was at the home of Dave Roberts, an elder at our church. He and his wife, Judy, were oh so gracious in letting us have our wedding there. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding.
Annie helped me plan it and she fixed my hair for the wedding. She was my matron of honor and Kourtney was my maid of honor.
3. We had such a great honeymoon!! We went on a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas. The first night we spent at a really nice hotel in OKC, then we flew to Miami the next morning. We stayed one night in Miami and then left the next morning on our cruise. We stopped in Nassau, Coco Kay (sp?), and Key West. We had so much fun and were totally spoiled by the time we got back. Well, I was spoiled. Dh paid extra for me to get chocolate strawberries and champagne every night plus a massage and a facial. I want to do all of that again on our 10th anniversary.
4. We are currently building a dream of ours. On one of our first dates we took my 2 children (ages 4 and 4 months at the time) to Hafer Park in Edmond, OK. We sat on a swing (it was like a porch swing)and watched my daughter play while we held the baby and talked. We talked about getting married and having 6 kids. We agreed that we wanted to live on lots of land with a yellow house complete with a wrap-around porch. We are finally getting to make that dream a reality!
5. Dh adopted my 2 children the November after we were married. It was a very special day for us! After we left the courthouse we let our daughter (5 yrs old at that time) pick somewhere special to go to celebrate. She chose Chuck E Cheese's! We have picture of us on the little Chuck E Cheese car.
6. We have lots of fun together. We are silly and run around the house chasing each other with the kids running behind us. That is fun until someone gets hurt. : )
7. We really don't argue very much. actually, building this house has tested our communication skills quite a bit already, but we don't have major fights very often at all. We may get in a fuss or a mild argument but we don't get in many big fights. I told someone once that we have a big fight about twice a year.
8. We have moved 7 times in 8 years.
1) We moved to Norman, OK when we were first married. We bought the cutest little house within walking distance to a nice park. It was adorable and only 900 square feet. So tiny!
2) Then about 2 months after we were married his company transferred him to Mexico. Yes, Mexico. So we moved to McAllen, TX, and lived in a corporate apartment for about 7 months. That was nice because I had maids that came twice a week and cleaned everything. They even did our laundry and dishes! How spoiled was I?? It was a hard move. We were suddenly 13 hours away from all of our family and friends. And we were newlyweds with 2 little kids. But it ended up being the best thing for us. God really blessed us in McAllen. I think I would move back there in a heartbeat, but I know that the experience we had there can't be repeated.
3) We bought a house in Mission, TX, which is right next to McAllen. We had an awesome church there that we still miss! We made such good friends in Mission and McAllen. We even had palm trees in our back yard. We were about an hour from South Padre Island so we went there several times.
4) Then dh got a job in Dallas with SBC. We moved to his brother and sister-in-law's house temporarily while we looked for a house. The funny thing was that they were living in LA at the time and said we could live in there house and sort of house sit. Well, the day we were packing up our U Haul truck and driving out of Mission, they called and said, "Surprise! We are back from LA! But you all can live here with us until you get a house." That didn't work too long. I think I held out for a month and then went to OK to stay with my parents.
5) After about 2 months of staying with my parents and Dh down in TX with his brother and sister-in-law we bought a house in the DFW area. We lived there from 2001-2006. We brought 4 babies home to that little house.
6) We then attempted to buy a house in Fort Worth, but the deal fell through after we had been living there for 5 months (long story- we leased the house from sellers until we closed, but the deal fell through b/c of their financial problems so we had to move out so the bank could foreclose.).
8) Then we moved to the house we are currently renting. And here we are!!
When we move to our new house next Spring, that will be the 8th time we have moved in 8 years. Hopefully that will be the last time we move our family. But you never know what God has planned. We are always open to His leading and will move wherever He tells us to go!




post signature

5 comments:

ann said...

It sounds like you have a great marriage. I admire anyone who can accept "instant" children as their own! You are definitely blessed in that - as am I! Thanks for sharing!
In His Love and Blessings,
annb

Annie said...

Even though I already knew all of this, it was still fun to read it organized into a list.
It's been a busy 8 years huh?

Michelle said...

that was interesting getting to know about you and your hubby! How awsome that you are getting to build your dream house!

HomeSchool Mommy said...

Okay, Julie. I'm weak. I suck. I couldn't stay gone for a whole month.

This was a neat post. Fun to read.

jenny said...

I enjoyed reading this post, too! ;-)