Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday~accident or illness edition

This week Annie has asked us to tell about the most serious illness or accident we have ever had. I lead a boring life. I have not ever been really sick or had a bad accident. I know, that is a good thing, right?

I did have a near-drowning once at South Padre Island. I was on a trip to the island with the youth group from our church in Mission, Texas. I was swimming out to a sand bar alone and I kept swimming and swimming and swimming...and I never got there. I couldn't figure it out because the sand bar was there in the past (a few hours before this happened we had swam out to it). Anyway, I got really tired and the waves started going over my head. I couldn't keep myself above the waves, I was swallowing water, every time I tried to catch my breath a wave would crash into my face. It was very frightening.

I finally decided to give up. I literally made a decision to let myself just go under the water. There was no one anywhere near me and no one could see me out in the water. My muscles were aching and I was so tired from fighting those waves.

Then out of nowhere I saw man and his son on boogie boards. I cried out to them but they couldn't hear me. they finally saw me and came over. The man put me on the boogie board and took me to the shore. I collapsed onto the sand and cried.

That was the closest to a real accident I have gotten. I haven't had any real car accident, no broken bones, no hospitalizations except for pregnancy related stuff (kidney stones, miscarriages, etc.).

Wow, what a positive topic you chose this week, Annie! LOL Just kidding!


post signature

9 comments:

Annie said...

I remember that, very scary!
I don't know why I picked this topic, I have a list and I am just going down the list because it is hard to think of new things :o)... feel free to offer suggestions though.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

That must've been scary! It may have been High Tide and that's why the sand bar was gone. The tides change at certain times of the day. Just an FYI, but you probably won't do it again, anyhow.

Anonymous said...

Scary!! Glad those two happened along when the did.

KC said...

UGH very scary.. Glad the man and his son came along.

Happy TTT

Theresa said...

although a not a very fun topic, your story should be told. I have been a lifeguard, and now a swim coach, and I still have a healthy fear of the water especially the ocean.

Wow God had your back for those two just to show up and save you like that- that part of the story was very powerful.

Nancy Face said...

What a touching experience! I believe God led that man and his son to you, so they could be your miracle that day! :)

Sharijoy said...

Wow...thats unreal...You have an ahgel watching over you to come to your rescue right when you were willing to give up. That feeling must of been over powering...helpless...I couldn't even imagine

HomeSchool Mommy said...

Wow! How scary!

Michelle said...

oh my goodness I was so scared for you just reading about your experience! How frightening that must have been.