Saturday, February 17, 2007

Baby's Layette and Other Things to Buy

What exactly is a layette? According to the American Heritage Dictionary it is a set of clothing and bedding for a newborn child.

I found this list of things to buy for baby:

Baby Needs: Clothing and Layette
5-10 onesies or rompers, depending on how often you want to do laundry
5-7 baby sleepers or nightgowns
5-7 pairs of baby socks
1-2 newborn hats, depending on climate
Baby Needs: Diapers and Bath Items
2 packs of disposable diapers
1 pack of disposable wipes
Waterproof pad for diaper changes
3-5 baby washcloths
1-2 hooded towels, if desired.
1 bottle of gentle baby wash
Baby nail clippers
Digital thermometer
Baby Needs: Bedding and Feeding
3-4 fitted sheets for crib
5-7 lightweight blankets
1-2 heavier blankets, depending on climate
10 burp cloths
5-8 bottles, if you're bottle feeding
Breastfeeding pillow, if desired

Then I found a very extensive list here.


Right now I am overwhelmed by so much to do. I feel like I need to get organized and "get it all together" before the baby's birth. But do I really think I will ever "get it all together"? No, I do not. I am more organized than I was with my first and second children. Thank goodness. But I still have such a long way to go to reach efficiency. Today has been another tired day without much accomplished. I did get our taxes done. That was a big weight off my shoulders.

Enough complaining for now. Hopefully this won't turn into Gigi's Gripey Blog in the next few weeks. : )

6 comments:

Annie said...

I can't believe it is getting so close! I didn't really know what Amanda would be ... could make a joke but I'll refrain :) Anywho, I bought tons of mostly yellow clothes, mostly boyish, blue room with rocking horses. I had one dress that was green my aunt margie gave me at her baby shower in my suitcase... just in case. That's what she wore home. I don't think she wore those little yellow outfits, I was all about pink as soon as possible.

Julie said...

I didn't know that. I thought you knew ahead of time what all of your babies were. I have always found out what mine were. It is starting to feel weird to not have a name picked out and not know what sex the baby is. It's exciting because I know we're going to be surprised, and I still don't want to find out, but it just feels weird to not know.
I'm glad Amanda is Amanda and not a boy. : )
Did she dump the boy after VDay?

Annie said...

That would be weird if she was a boy huh? No, she didn't dump him yet. The concert tickets she gave him for v-day are for march 1st... we'll see after that.
We had a boy and girl name when we went to the hospital to have Amanda I wanted to find out but our ultrasound couldn't tell and my insurance wouldn't pay for another... Terri talks about when Amanda was born... they were all in the waiting room, I was in the labor room... and when she was born they played bells and then they announced its a girl. and Marmar started crying and said that was the sweetest sound ever.

Julie said...

oh, that is so sweet. Were you at Presbyterian Hospital? I remember them having the bells when I was there having Alex.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! Great info! Thanks for sharing this! I'm not due until July 2 but I need all the help I can get, LOL. It's been 10 years since I've been preggy and my mind needs the refreshing! :o) We find out on the 28th if we're having a boy or girl. We've already bought everything we can without knowing the sex. Once we find, we'll be all the stuff that has to be color specific.

Julie said...

Congratulations, Carrie! : )