Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Filling Up Freezer and Planting Pansies

Filling Up Freezer

I want to fill up my extra freezer with food for after our new baby is born. My original thought was that I would cook double portions of meals and freeze the extra portion. But, I am spending every bit of my food money already and I don't really have any extra money to buy more ingredients. I am not good at planning my menus around sales and coupons. I have tried it and it doesn't work for me. One time I made me menus based on the sales ads, went to 4 different grocery store, spent 4 hours shopping, and spent $60 less than I normally spent. It was great at the time, but I can't get excited about that kind of work just to save $60. I guess $60 is quite a bit of money, especially when your food budget for 2 weeks is $200. Another problem is that there are only 2 grocery stores in this town. Ha! That would present a problem, now wouldn't it?

I think I will try fixing one cheap meal a week (beans and cornbread, eggs and toast, etc.) and buy double ingredients for one of my other meals that week.

Like last night we had Sticky Chicken and Cheddar Biscuits (I didn't have time to make sourdough bread). I could have bought 2 chickens and made 2 batches of biscuits, or just frozen half of the biscuits. The recipe made 20 biscuits. Tonight we are using the leftover chicken to make Chicken and Pasta with Vegetables. I could have frozen another meal tonight if I had bought 2 chickens and cooked them both yesterday.

Questions for my loyal readers:
*What are some other cheap meals?
*Do you have any other ideas for filling up my freezer without spending too much extra money on food?

Planting Pansies

Today dd12 is out of school and we are going to plant pansies. When I pick up the boys from school in a few minutes we are all going to go outside, the boys and Baby Girl are going to play, and dd12 and I are going to plant pansies in the front flower beds.
I also bought 3 pots of daffodil bulbs that have been started for me. I have never seen pots of daffodil bulbs, but at Wal Mart yesterday (yes, I took Baby Girl to Wal Mart again) I saw lots of pots of planted tulip bulbs and daffodil bulbs. You just leave them in the pot and they bloom there. Perfect! I'll post pictures of my flowers when they get planted and when the daffodils bloom.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Everytime I think I am finally going to get pansies to plant we get more snow/ice!! I"m so ready for Spring!! :)

Natalie said...

I have daffodils coming up - and irises - and I'm not sure what else! :)

I'm making a list of foods that my family likes that freeze well - I'll email it to you.