Friday, February 16, 2007

Birth Plan- Don't Read This Unless You Want to Know Graphic Details of Our Birth Wishes! : )

( I took off the personal information at the beginning- our names, due date, hospital, and midwives' names)


Special Notes
My blood type is O negative.

General Comments
As we prepare for the birth of our seventh child, we have a few requests. We want to be very clear about our expectations for the hospital staff and our midwives, as well as what we plan to do for ourselves.
We would like all staff to discuss all procedures with us before they are performed.

Environment
We would like to the environment during labor to be calm and quiet.
I would like to be able to wear my own choice of clothes during labor.
I would like the lights to be dimmed, if possible, especially in the bathroom while I am in the bathtub.

During Labor
I would like vaginal exams to be kept to a minimum. I want only my midwives to perform the exams.
I want to avoid an IV unless it is absolutely necessary.
I would prefer to avoid electronic fetal monitoring. I would prefer instead for my midwife or nurse to use a Doppler to check the baby’s heart rate periodically.

**When I first arrive at the hospital I am usually monitored in the observation room and then monitored again when I am moved to the birthing suite. I want to be monitored at one place or the other, not both, if that is possible. It is almost impossible to relax and use natural techniques for pain relief while hooked up to the electronic fetal monitoring machine. **

I would like to deliver in whatever position is comfortable for me.

**I would like to try the squat/birth bar. If that doesn’t feel right, I would like to try lying on my left side during the pushing stage. I do not want to deliver our baby in the semi-reclining, legs-pushed-back position. **

· I want to push only when I feel the urge to do so. I would prefer not to be told to push simply because I am dilated to a 10.

Pain Relief
· I would like to give birth naturally and without medication.
· I want to be in a warm bath as soon as possible and as much as possible.
· I would like to try the shower if the warm bath loses its effectiveness.
· I am going to bring my own birthing ball to use for comfort.

Induction
· We would like to avoid an induction unless the baby shows distress.
· In the event that the pregnancy goes past 42 weeks, I would like to be induced using pitocin, with an epidural for pain relief.

Delivery of the Placenta
· I would like to deliver the placenta naturally, with no pulling on the umbilical cord.

After the Birth
· We would like the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.
· We want Dad to cut the cord.
· I want to be given ibuprofen as soon after the baby is delivered as possible.

Feeding
· I will be breastfeeding our baby.
· Please do not give our baby bottles, supplements, or pacifiers without our consent.

If Our Baby is Sick
· I would like to breastfeed when possible
· We would like to have unlimited visits with our baby
· We would like to hold our baby as much as possible
· In the event that the baby has to be transferred to another facility, we would like to follow as soon as possible

Circumcision
· No circumcision is to be performed in the hospital. Our family’s pediatrician will perform the circumcision at a later date.

Eye Care
· We would like to delay eye care until after we have bonded with our baby.
· We would prefer erythromycin eye treatment to silver nitrate for our baby.

Vitamin K
· We would like vitamin K to be given to our baby.
· We would prefer that oral vitamin K be administered, if possible.

We realize that not every birth goes as planned and that unexpected events happen. We also know that we are in good hands and that you, our midwives and nurses, will try to follow this birth plan as closely as possible. We are excited about our baby’s birth and we are glad you are going to share this special event with us.

No comments: