Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of Pre-K

My baby just went to pre-k. Yes, I know he is 5 and is not my baby anymore, but he IS my baby. That does not make sense and I am okay with that.
This child has been "the baby" since he was born. Even though he is #5 of 7 children, he has still been the baby. It's strange, really.
Maybe it's because he was our first birth child together. Maybe it's because he was my first child to be born after praying for a baby for 2 years. Maybe it's because we lost 2 babies in the 2nd trimester when he was 1 year old and it made me hold him tighter and treat him like a baby longer.
I don't really know why he has always been "the baby" but I am crying as I type this and I hope he is having a great day at pre-k. I did not cry when I dropped him off, even though another mom was bawling. I had to purposefully not look at her because I was about to start bawling, too. He was happy and excited and so, so cute with his new clothes and his new backpack. And so grown up all of a sudden.

post signature

7 comments:

Annie said...

I remember right after he was born, Iz was a couple of months old... you came over with G and we sat and talked in the front room. They were such cute babies. Where does time go?

Natalie said...

When we moved back to OK from Louisiana, DD (11 yrs) went to a pre-K program through the daycare center. It was so hard to leave her there all day after always having her home with me.

When I took DD (14 yrs) to pre-K, DS cried the whole time she was gone for the first week. It was awful. He'd scream as I dragged him down the hallway after taking her to class. She loved it, though. After a while, he was ok with it, too.

Oh - it's almost time for you to pick him up!

Hope he's had a fun morning and that the rest of your day goes well!

Anonymous said...

its ok. he will grow slow.

lol
love alex jones

Natalie said...

New siggie is very nice!

Julie said...

Isn't it so cute that Alex left me a comment??
DS5 had a great time, btw. When I picked him up he said, "All we did was play and eat. And it was very long"
Ha ha! I think that is so funny because it was only 3 hours. But 3 hours to a barely-5-year old is long, obviously. And I think it is so funny that he thinks all they did was eat and play. As the day went by he told me more about his day. It sounds like he had fun and wants to go back.

Natalie said...

It's very sweet of Alex, I think. :)

Michelle said...

I think our kids will always be "our baby" for one reason or another! Kindergarten is such a bittersweet milestone! Hope he had a great first day!