Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Japanese Curiosity

I have to make this very short because I need to go start dinner and take care of the kids who just got home from school...

This morning I read this article. It sparked my curiosity about what Japanese people eat and why they live so long. I read lots of different information about their diet and I am very interested in it.
Not only do Japanese live longer, but they live HEALTHIER, longer. In other words, they live to be 90 or 100 and they are healthy! Really, who wants to live to be 100 if you are sick and in pain?? I have never wanted to live to be really old if it meant I was sick and in a nursing home.
But these people are truly healthy and live wonderfully long lives full of activity and good health.

So, what's the deal? Why do they have an obesity rate of only 3%? I am in the process of researching that today. I went to the library and checked out a book called Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat! By a woman named Naomi. I have read a couple of chapter while sitting in the line at the kids' school and it is excellent, so far. Go check it out.

This whole Japanese curiosity also jogged my memory and I recalled an article I read a few weeks ago in the Dallas Morning News about something called Bento Lunches.
Go check those out here, here, here, and here. You can search on eBay for bento and you will find lots of cool stuff.

Gotta go now!


post signature

2 comments:

ann said...

I can't wait to hear more! I heard the same information today as I drove home from work and they said that by the year 2015 (I think) they expect there to be approximately 1,000,000 people over 100 years of age living in Japan! They talked, on the radio, about their diet which consists mainly of fish and rice. I love fish and I love rice so who knows?!
I'll be eagerly anticipating the results of your research.
In His Love and Blessings,
annb

HomeSchool Mommy said...

I have been studying this very same thing!!! So weird! I haven't read that book, though, so I'll be sure to go check that out this week.